Sunday, September 21, 2014

Meal planning

One of the most important things that I have learned on my health journey is that planning your meals in advance is of utmost importance. Especially when I was doing the 21 Day Fix the first time around, I knew that I had to be organized in my food preparation. I've tried over the years to be good at meal planning, but somehow the Fix is what finally drove it home for me.

Why is meal planning important?

  1. Makes grocery shopping easier
  2. Takes the difficulty out of the 6pm scramble to get something on the table.
  3. You can make sure to get your full balance of food groups throughout the day - for example, if you know that you are going to make pizza for dinner, than don't fill up on carbs or cheese earlier in the day. Or if you are having a vegetarian dinner, then aim to get good protein in earlier.
  4. You can prep portions earlier in the day if you have the ability.
That said, I've been doing a pretty good job of meal planning and have been trying to share them on my facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/HealthyWithMichelle). But now that I have this blog up and running, I wanted to put them here and join up with some other bloggers who post their menus online. Also, this is a much easier way to link the recipes that I am using.

This week is a little different than other weeks. We have Rosh Hashanah Wednesday evening and then family is staying with us through the rest of the weekend. That gives me a little bit more room to make items that feed larger crowds and I have a little more flexibility to cook while others play with my kids.

Our Meals for the Week of September 21

Sunday - Burgers and hot dogs (we are having our last 85 degree day)
Wednesday - Chicken Marsala
Saturday - Harvest Vegetable Soup and salads of some sort

I picked a few new items this week and a few old favorites. I'm hoping that the burrito bowls go over well. My husband really enjoys my sweet potato and black bean burritos and this is in the same taste grouping but with a healthy dose of quinoa (which he doesn't like).

I'm linking this list with two awesome blogs - This Week for Dinner and OrgJunkie's Menu Plan Monday. If I don't have enough ideas to get you going, perhaps they will help spark you as well!

Happy Cooking and Healthful Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment