Saturday, January 24, 2015

Whole30 comfort food - paleo spaghetti pie

I'm nearly done with my first Whole30. Today marks day 24! I have honestly loved this experience and it has encouraged me to find new recipes that I might not have made before. I don't always worry about whether the rest of my family will eat it, because if they don't there are just more leftovers for me!

Friday night has become pizza or pasta night around it. In the past, if I made pizza for the family, I would do something like a portobello stuffed mushroom with cheese on top, similar to a pizza. But since the Whole30 says no to all dairy, that's out of the question. Last night, I went with a recipe originally posted on PaleOMG for pizza pie.

Her recipe assumes that when you eat pizza you eat it with meat on it, but that's something I never do. So I took her concept and turned it vegetarian and used sugar free marinara instead of pizza sauce. The outcome? AMAZING!


You start with a large spaghetti squash, my current comfort food, and a big plate full of vegetables. I went with mixed peppers, mushrooms, spinach and onions. I wound up adding additional spinach when I was cooking it.


Mix in the sauce and eggs as per her recipe and cook for an hour until it is crusty on the top.


I served it with a delicious salad of red cabbage, arugula, peppers, carrots, tart apple and walnuts with lemon juice as the dressing. It was so good, that I ate it for breakfast this morning!

A friend who is doing the Whole30 with me asked what I planned to do when the whole thing was over. I'm loving how I feel. I want to add back in the eliminated foods slowly to see what was giving me problems. I think I am slightly lactose intolerant, which I never would have figured out without this. I had guessed that maybe a year ago, but was unwilling to give up dairy until committing to the Whole30. I will probably stay mainly paleo, but I need some baked goods and legumes every once in a while. As a whole though, the Whole30 was one of the better decisions I've made in a long time.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment